What is involved in Cloud Migration
Find out what the related areas are that Cloud Migration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Cloud Migration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Cloud Migration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Cloud Migration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Cloud Migration related domains to cover and 114 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Cloud Migration, HP CloudSystem, HP 3PAR, HP Cloud Service Automation Software, HP Converged Systems, HP Helion, HP ProLiant, HP StorageWorks, HP Systems Insight Manager, Hewlett-Packard, Hypervisor, Infrastructure as a service, Multitenancy, Opsware, Platform as a service, Private cloud, Public cloud, Service-level agreement, Software-as-a-service, Virtualization:
Cloud Migration Critical Criteria:
Map Cloud Migration engagements and raise human resource and employment practices for Cloud Migration.
– Data Considerations. Data governance, confidentiality, integrity and quality need to be preserved by the migration. Is the data bound by statutory compliance?
– If you could migrate your applications and workloads to an enterprise cloud without the time and risk typically associated with the process?
– How can you protect yourself from malware that could be introduced by another customer in a multi-tenant environment?
– How much effort (in terms new development, one-off scripts) is required to migrate all my data to the cloud?
– Does the provider allow access to its internal operational logs (e.g., for auditing or forensic purposes)?
– Can you package and deploy your application into an AMI so it can run on an Amazon EC2 instance?
– What are the different RDBMS (commercial and open source) options available in the cloud today?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– Can you divide the application into components and run them on separate Amazon EC2 instances?
– What are my regulatory or contractual obligations to store data in specific jurisdictions?
– Is the programming language compatible with the language for the source application?
– How can we get rid of support contracts for hardware, software and network?
– Which component must be local (on-premise) and which can move to the cloud?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– How does the organization acquire and allocate its computing resources?
– How are companies leveraging the cloud across the organization?
– What are the latency and bandwidth requirements?
– Are you planning a large server migration?
– Single point of failure / compromise?
– Required Skills: Who Do We Need?
HP CloudSystem Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze HP CloudSystem results and describe which business rules are needed as HP CloudSystem interface.
– Think about the people you identified for your Cloud Migration project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Cloud Migration ?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Cloud Migration leaders?
HP 3PAR Critical Criteria:
Participate in HP 3PAR planning and ask what if.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Cloud Migration objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What will drive Cloud Migration change?
– How would one define Cloud Migration leadership?
HP Cloud Service Automation Software Critical Criteria:
Scan HP Cloud Service Automation Software failures and catalog what business benefits will HP Cloud Service Automation Software goals deliver if achieved.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Cloud Migration strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– In a project to restructure Cloud Migration outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Cloud Migration effort?
HP Converged Systems Critical Criteria:
Own HP Converged Systems failures and find out what it really means.
– In the case of a Cloud Migration project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Cloud Migration project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Cloud Migration project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How do we go about Comparing Cloud Migration approaches/solutions?
– What threat is Cloud Migration addressing?
HP Helion Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase HP Helion risks and assess what counts with HP Helion that we are not counting.
– For your Cloud Migration project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How important is Cloud Migration to the user organizations mission?
– Which Cloud Migration goals are the most important?
HP ProLiant Critical Criteria:
Chat re HP ProLiant visions and find out.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Cloud Migration opportunities costing us money?
HP StorageWorks Critical Criteria:
Inquire about HP StorageWorks decisions and probe HP StorageWorks strategic alliances.
– Will Cloud Migration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How will you measure your Cloud Migration effectiveness?
– What is Effective Cloud Migration?
HP Systems Insight Manager Critical Criteria:
Inquire about HP Systems Insight Manager engagements and oversee HP Systems Insight Manager management by competencies.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Cloud Migration goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Cloud Migration?
– Is Supporting Cloud Migration documentation required?
Hewlett-Packard Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Hewlett-Packard management and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Cloud Migration workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are there Cloud Migration Models?
Hypervisor Critical Criteria:
Grasp Hypervisor results and catalog what business benefits will Hypervisor goals deliver if achieved.
– How can you protect the hypervisor (a key component for cloud infrastructures) which interacts and manages multiple environments in the cloud?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Does our organization need more Cloud Migration education?
Infrastructure as a service Critical Criteria:
Merge Infrastructure as a service leadership and observe effective Infrastructure as a service.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Cloud Migration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Cloud Migration project lifecycle?
– Do Cloud Migration rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Is there any existing Cloud Migration governance structure?
Multitenancy Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Multitenancy failures and summarize a clear Multitenancy focus.
– Can we do Cloud Migration without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Are there Cloud Migration problems defined?
Opsware Critical Criteria:
Systematize Opsware visions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Opsware.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Cloud Migration experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Cloud Migration? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Who needs to know about Cloud Migration ?
Platform as a service Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Platform as a service strategies and get going.
– Can we add value to the current Cloud Migration decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Cloud Migration activities?
– What business benefits will Cloud Migration goals deliver if achieved?
Private cloud Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Private cloud risks and stake your claim.
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– How will the switch happen to public cloud when the private cloud infrastructure gets mixed out?
– When is utility computing preferable to running a private cloud?
– what is the future of private cloud?
– Why are Cloud Migration skills important?
– What is private cloud?
Public cloud Critical Criteria:
Refer to Public cloud results and devise Public cloud key steps.
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Do I establish a private (or community) cloud as a staging platform as we learn more about public clouds?
– Are assumptions made in Cloud Migration stated explicitly?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
– How do we keep improving Cloud Migration?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Meet over Service-level agreement decisions and forecast involvement of future Service-level agreement projects in development.
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– Do the Cloud Migration decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Have you identified your Cloud Migration key performance indicators?
Software-as-a-service Critical Criteria:
Participate in Software-as-a-service governance and correct Software-as-a-service management by competencies.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Cloud Migration project?
– Would you consider any non software-as-a-service options?
– How to deal with Cloud Migration Changes?
Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Own Virtualization visions and point out improvements in Virtualization.
– How can you verify that the virtualization platform or cloud management software running on the systems you use, which you did not install and do not control, does not contain malware?
– An organization requires that each user needs to access their own copy of os and applications installed on a centralized location. which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– Does the provider extend their vulnerability and configuration management process to the virtualization platform?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– How can you negotiate Cloud Migration successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Should I proceed with virtualization before consolidation, then consolidation before cloud migration?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Cloud Migration processes of our organization?
– What are next trends to follow in Virtualization and Cloud Migration space?
– Do the providers virtualization appliances inspect all packets?
– Which statement is true about user state virtualization?
– Which virtualization solution will you recommend?
– Protect virtualization platforms, such as vmware?
– Which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Why microsoft virtualization & management?
– Will database virtualization take off?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Cloud Migration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Cloud Migration External links:
Azure Migration Center—Cloud Migration Tools | Microsoft …
Business Cloud Migration and System Replication | Carbonite
Cloud Migration and Disaster Recovery
HP CloudSystem External links:
[PDF]HP CloudSystem Foundation software
[PDF]HP CloudSystem Matrix with HP-UX – …
HP 3PAR External links:
HP 3PAR | DancingDinosaur
HP 3PAR – hard drive – 1.2 TB – SAS 12Gb/s Prices – CNET
http://www.cnet.com › … › HP 3PAR – hard drive – 1.2 TB – SAS 12Gb/s
HP Cloud Service Automation Software External links:
HP Cloud Service Automation Software – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/HP Cloud Service Automation Software
HP Converged Systems External links:
HP Converged Systems Archives | Rolta AdvizeX
iT1 + HP Converged Systems + ‘We Do Men, The Man Spa’
SAP HANA on HP Converged Systems and SUSE Linux …
HP Helion External links:
János P. – HP Helion Hungary (Budapest) | Meetup
HP Helion Development Platform – Quora
HP ProLiant External links:
iBid Lot # 10502 – HP Proliant ML350 Server
HP StorageWorks External links:
[PDF]HP StorageWorks 60 Modular Smart Array Enclosure …
[PDF]HP StorageWorks P4000 SAN Solution user guide
HP Systems Insight Manager External links:
[PDF]HP Systems Insight Manager 5.0 Installation and User …
Why is HP Systems Insight Manager not receiving SNMP traps?
Connector HP Systems Insight Manager 6.0 Help – Symantec
Hypervisor External links:
What is hypervisor? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware
Infrastructure as a service External links:
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Cloud-Based Infrastructure as a Service Comes to …
What is IaaS? Infrastructure as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Multitenancy External links:
Multitenancy – Gartner IT Glossary
Opsware External links:
Opsware | Article about Opsware by The Free Dictionary
The Opsware Mafia – Forbes
How to uninstall Opsware agent – Quora
Platform as a service External links:
VPaaS – Video Platform as a Service | Kaltura
Fully Managed Big Data Platform as a Service | Cazena
Captain Up :: Engagement Platform as a Service
Private cloud External links:
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud – Official Site
Virtual Network – Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
Public cloud External links:
What is public cloud? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Public Cloud Convenience, Private Cloud Control
Rackspace Public Cloud – Calculator
Virtualization External links:
VMware virtualization on Azure | Blog | Microsoft Azure